D'Hanis has 6 official Texas Historical Commission markers in Medina County. The marker list includes records dating to 1936. Common marker themes include churches, cemeteries, and community institutions, railroad, trail, and transportation history, ranching, farming, and frontier settlement. Use this page to preview the markers, then open RoadHistorical on your drive to see nearby stops on the map, listen to narration, and save the places you want to visit.
Site of Fort Lincoln · 1936
Established by the United States Army July 7, 1849 as a link in a chain of posts extending from the Rio Grande to Red River. Named in honor of Captain George Lincoln who fell at Buena Vista February 23, 1847. Abandoned…
View on map ↗Town of D'Hanis · 1936
Now Known as Old D'Hanis. Established in 1847 by 29 families under the leadership of Theodore Gentilz, representing Henri Castro (1781...1861), distinguished pioneer and colonizer of Texas who introduced the early…
View on map ↗Rothe-Rowe Ranch House · 1972
On land bordering Fort Lincoln (garrisoned by U.S. Army, 1849-53) and Woll Road (travel artery, 1840s-80s), owned after 1860 by Fritz Rothe and brothers. Louis Rothe (1843-1921) built this native stone house in 1882.…
View on map ↗Site of Saint Dominic Catholic Church and Cemetery · 1972
Congregation formed in 1847 with founding of D'Hanis Colony by settlers from Alsace, France. In 1853, when town became a mission parish, limestone church was built, using timber hauled by ox-wagon from Medina River.…
View on map ↗D'Hanis · 1997
In 1847 Henri Castro established D'Hanis, his fourth colony, 1.5 miles east of this site, named for a Castro Company official. Alsatian immigrants endured great hardship to build a community that thrived for over 30…
View on map ↗J. M. Koch's Hotel · 2000
J. M. and Mary Ann Koch owned and operated a hotel in D'Hanis beginning in 1898. They purchased the land on this site in July 1902, and built this hotel in 1906. Reportedly constructed by Chinese railroad laborers, it…
View on map ↗