Lufkin vicinity has 7 official Texas Historical Commission markers in Angelina County. The marker list includes records dating to 1979. Common marker themes include courthouse and civic history, churches, cemeteries, and community institutions, railroad, trail, and transportation history. Use this page to preview the markers, then open RoadHistorical on your drive to see nearby stops on the map, listen to narration, and save the places you want to visit.
Don Joaquin Crossing on Bedias Trail · 1979
Used by Indians, explorers, traders and missionaries, this trail ran from Bedias Indian camps on the lower Trinity River to Spanish missions near Nacogdoches. Don Joaquin de Orobio y Basterra, captain of the presidio at…
View on map ↗Lindsey Springs Logging Camp · 1993
The naturally occurring Lindsey Springs, located approximately 3/4 of a mile northeast of this location, became the site in 1899 of the Southern Pine Lumber Company's first logging camp. the springs provided an…
View on map ↗Hoshall · 1994
The Houston East and West Texas (HE&WT) Railroad came through Angelina County in 1882 and a community named Bitterweed Flat developed here. In 1913 W. E. Hoshall purchased land and timber rights in the area and began…
View on map ↗Redland Baptist Church · 1994
Liberty Baptist Church, established in the Redland community in 1859, became Redland Baptist Church after reorganizing in 1895. Worship services were held in a local schoolhouse until 1924 when the congregation built…
View on map ↗Ewing · 1997
The boom town of Ewing stood for two decades on the west bank of the Angelina River. Named for plantation owner James A. Ewing, the town was located near a rail line and virgin hardwood forests. In 1919 H. G. Bohlssen…
View on map ↗Homer Cemetery · 1997
In 1854 W. W. Manning established a drugstore and sawmill in this area, and named the community after his former home in Homer, Louisiana. In 1856 Homer was chosen as Angelina County seat, following a mandate from the…
View on map ↗Beulah School · 1998
Beulah School began operations in 1903. Buildings erected and furnished by local residents were used as both school and church. State funds made possible Beulah's first full-time schoolhouse, erected one mile from this…
View on map ↗