White Deer has 12 official Texas Historical Commission markers in Carson County. The marker list includes records dating to 1965. Common marker themes include churches, cemeteries, and community institutions, railroad, trail, and transportation history, ranching, farming, and frontier settlement. Use this page to preview the markers, then open RoadHistorical on your drive to see nearby stops on the map, listen to narration, and save the places you want to visit.
First Presbyterian Church · 1965
First church building in White Deer. Dedicated July 4, 1909. Financed mainly through gifts from pioneer members' home churches; and donations by other denominations. Also used by Methodists and Baptists for 11 years,…
View on map ↗Last Great Panhandle Cattle Drive to Montana · 1965
Each Spring and Summer after 1880, many Texas herds went up the trail to Northern states for fattening. For the cowboys, trail drives meant hard work. They had to turn stampedes, ford rivers and quicksand streams, and…
View on map ↗N-Bar-N Ranch House · 1965
View on map ↗White Deer · 1965
Name taken from nearby creek, so called by an Indian legend of White Deer feeding there. Site of county's first water well, drilled at N Bar N Ranch, 1887. Also headquarters for White Deer Land Co. (formerly Francklyn…
View on map ↗Polish Settlers of White Deer · 1966
In 1854, 100 Polish families (800 persons) came to America in one small sailing ship--a voyage of 9 weeks. None spoke English. From Galveston they walked 200 miles to Panna Maria in South Texas, arriving for Christmas…
View on map ↗First Presbyterian Church · 1979
First church building in White Deer. Dedicated July 4, 1909. Financed mainly through gifts from pioneer members' home churches, and donations by other denominations. Also used by Methodists and Baptists for 11 years,…
View on map ↗Jackson General Store · 1986
This commercial structure was built at the original townsite of White Deer (0.5 mi. E). It was moved here in 1908, when the present townsite was established. It housed the general merchandise business of J. C. Jackson…
View on map ↗Hotel at White Deer · 1994
The White Deer Land Company, a trustee for court-ordered land sales in this area, established the White Deer Demonstration Farm in the 1890s. About 1909 this frame four square structure was built to board prospective…
View on map ↗White Deer Cemetery · 2010
In 1916, Mrs. Beulah V. Tillman, a “femme sole,” purchased 155 of the 160 acres that made up Block 7 of Survey 26 of the International and Great Northern Railroad Company. Because the remaining five acres were omitted…
View on map ↗White Deer United Methodist Church · 2010
A Methodist Church was first formed in White Deer in 1911. The Rev. W.B. McKeown, who worked to form several panhandle Methodist congregations, organized the church’s seven charter members. The congregation shared the…
View on map ↗First Baptist Church of White Deer · 2011
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WHITE DEER BAPTISTS IN WHITE DEER FIRST MET IN THE PRESBYTERIANS’ HOUSE OF WORSHIP, MEETING TWICE A MONTH AND SHARING A UNION SUNDAY SCHOOL. ON JUN. 16, 1912, SEVERAL BROTHERS AND SISTERS MET TO…
View on map ↗White Deer Sacred Heart Catholic Church · 2012
WHITE DEER SACRED HEART CATHOLIC CHURCH IN 1909, HENRY CZERNER AND BEN URBANCZYK, BOTH ORIGINALLY FROM THE POLISH COLONY OF PANNA MARIA, TEXAS, CAME TO THE PANHANDLE AND SECURED A BLOCK OF LAND NEAR THE TOWN OF WHITE…
View on map ↗